We have dental services at dental health facilities in hospitals, community health centres, outreach clinics and schools. Our area covers as far as Tully in the south, Croydon in the west and Mossman/Daintree in the north.
Our dental services include:
- diagnostic services, including clinical x-rays
- preventive and early intervention services, including dietary advice, oral hygiene instruction, fluoride applications, fissure sealants, and brief intervention smoking cessation advice
- gum care, including the removal of plaque and/or calculus
- simple extractions and minor oral surgery under local anaesthetic
- acrylic removable dentures, including new dentures and modification or repair of existing dentures
- root canal treatment for permanent front teeth and pulp therapy for baby teeth
- assessment of orthodontic needs and, if indicated, management of simple orthodontic anomalies
- palliative emergency care.
Who can access this service?
Adults can get free dental care if they're:
- a Queensland resident
- have a Medicare card
and have 1 of the following cards:
- Pensioner Concession Card issued by the Department of Veteran's Affairs
- Pensioner Concession Card issued by Centrelink
- Health Care Card
- Commonwealth Seniors Health Card
- Queensland Seniors Card.
Children can get free dental care if they're:
- a Queensland resident or go to a Queensland school
- have a Medicare card
and meet at least 1 of the following:
- are 17 or younger
- eligible for the Child Dental Benefits Schedule
- hold, or be listed as a dependent on a Centrelink concession card.
Read more about the Child Dental Benefits Schedule on the Services Australia website.
Make or change an appointment
You can make or change an appointment by calling 1300 300 850.
If you need emergency dental treatment, we may be able to move your appointment so you can see a dentist sooner.
For after hours emergency dental treatment please contact a private dental service (fees will apply) or 13 HEALTH (13 43 25 84).
Available at these locations
Adult dental clinics
Outreach dental clinics
Dentists visit the following primary health centres on a regular basis:
Mobile dental vans
We have 9 mobile dental vans that travel throughout the Cairns and Hinterland region on a regular basis.