We offer many benefits and options for medical officers at any stage of their career.

What we offer

You’ll join our dedicated and supportive team, helping care for patients with a wide range of diseases, some of which are endemic to the tropics.

We have a lot of exciting opportunities for career development, medical research and clinical trials.

Benefits of working with us

  • Attractive remuneration packages for public medical and private practice
  • Educational support
  • Professional indemnity cover
  • Work life balance
  • Flexible work arrangements
  • Professional development opportunities
  • Life changing experiences

Read more about our employee benefits.

Read more about medical recruitment including requirements to practice, career structure, salary and training.

Resident medical officers (RMOs)

Resident medical officers are usually employed on a 12 or 24-month temporary contract.

To become part of our team you must:

  • get a work visa or be entitled to residency
  • have evidence of immunity to Hepatitis A and B, Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Pertussis and Varicella
  • be tested and show you don't have tuberculosis — our application package has more information.

You can find more information and search for a position on the RMO and Registrar Recruitment Campaign website.


Far North Queensland is a great place for interns to start their medical career and to gain valuable skills and experience.

You can apply for an internship after completing your medical degree. Interns are usually employed on a 12-month temporary contract though we encourage interns to extend their placement for another 2 to 3 years.

You’ll be rostered to complete all your required terms in surgery, general and emergency medicine. You can also elect extra terms in your fields of interest and in our rural facilities.

International applicants

We welcome applications from experienced health professionals from outside Australia.

If you’re an international applicant, you’ll need to apply for registration with the Medical Board of Australia (MBA). You can do this through the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA).

You’ll also need to provide a comparability assessment from a specialist medical college if you’re employed as any of the following:

  • staff specialist
  • specialist general practitioner
  • recognised advanced practitioner.

Read more about requirements to practice in Queensland.

Last updated: June 2022